Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radio Doesn't Shut Off

Jye-forro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais v6
If the door being opened is still not being registered by the BCM, even with a new battery, and things that should occur aren’t occurring because of this, then the new battery may still drain as things that should be shut off may not be shut off.

Such BCM issues will still drain the new battery but because the new battery currently has 100% of its new capacity, it’s less noticeable… So it may just take longer to drain the battery to a level where it’s a problem, but drain it will if the door switch isn’t being detected.

Draining a lead acid battery below a certain threshold (12.4V) isn’t good for battery life as it starts to hard sulfate and if it drains below 10V then the plates starts to hard sulfate much much quicker. Hard sulfation can’t be reversed and coats the lead plates which results in loosing battery capacity (Your 700CCA, 120Ahr battery becomes something much less)…
Yeah man it sure does, I’ve got the new actuator on its way now from Holden… apparently this didn’t have one at my store so it’ll be here sometime next week… $340 seemed quite tough but is what it is

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
strange one because you said the
the door isn’t registering as being opened as I’ve noticed a few things that should happen when u open the door not working.

its a strange one because you said the door was registering as being opened in post #8 which was key reminders and lights etc so the bcm has to be detecting that the door has opened for any of those events to occur.

it will be interesting to see if the actuator solves it and if it does it might mean that there are 2 separate sensors in the door that trigger different events.

Leon771

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII SS-V Redline Sportwagon
Was there any resolution to this?

just this afternoon I went to move our MY17 and noticed the radio wouldn’t shut off when turning off the car and opening the door. I can close the door, lock car and the my link stays on.
Car also isn’t flagging that any doors are ajar.
I have also had service steering column error pop up as well on the dash. This would usually only appear if bumping steering wheel when exiting the car.

I have roadside assist coming to do a battery load test. Battery was replaced in October 2022, but as the car was stolen, recovered and repaired, car may have spent a long time having things done to it which may have resulted in significant battery drain.

Just hoping BCM or some other modules aren’t damaged.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Was there any resolution to this?

just this afternoon I went to move our MY17 and noticed the radio wouldn’t shut off when turning off the car and opening the door. I can close the door, lock car and the my link stays on.
Car also isn’t flagging that any doors are ajar.
I have also had service steering column error pop up as well on the dash. This would usually only appear if bumping steering wheel when exiting the car.

I have roadside assist coming to do a battery load test. Battery was replaced in October 2022, but as the car was stolen, recovered and repaired, car may have spent a long time having things done to it which may have resulted in significant battery drain.

Just hoping BCM or some other modules aren’t damaged.
When i get that pesky steering lock message i do this.
With the car running and in a spot i can fully open the door, i rotate the steering wheel fully both ways then back to center, then turn the car off then fully open the door. this may well be a superstition thing but works for me :rolleyes: Other than that it could just be the battery
EDIT: OH I forgot, before you turn it off, touch your nose 3 times with your left hand pinky finger.

Last edited:

Leon771

Reaction score
Members Ride
So RACV have confirmed battery and alternator are both excellent.
No error codes using their Autel scanner.

I guess off the the mechanic/autoelec it will go.

Today was the first hot day in a while so I’m wondering if connectors are loose somewhere and with thermal expansion causing them to fail to make contact.

Noted that when problem happened there was no door open notification for any doors (boot included), interior courtesy lights didn’t work either. Key left in car error also failed to ping.

1 in every 5 start/stops my link will go off, courtesy lights work and door open signal appears on dash, so something funny with BCM going on.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
the radio gets a canbus command to switch off when you turn the ignition off and open the door and it also gets a message to turn off after a certain amount of time with the ignition off ( ~10 minutes ).
Yes, that's what happens electronically. However, there seems to be a sequence thing and I'm not sure exactly what it is, perhaps opening the door with the engine running or an auto trans not in park where the radio does stay on for a bit after locking the car. I've noticed this a few times with several different VF's at random occasions.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Yes, that's what happens electronically. However, there seems to be a sequence thing and I'm not sure exactly what it is, perhaps opening the door with the engine running or an auto trans not in park where the radio does stay on for a bit after locking the car. I've noticed this a few times with several different VF's at random occasions.
not having it in park prevents the shutdown message being sent.
on some gm vehicles you could shut the engine off while in park, open the door and then shift to park to keep the system running.

with my first colorado i had a switch on the swcan wire to the mylink that i could use to keep the system on and play video while driving by disconnecting the swcan wire with the switch.

if you power on the mylink without the canbus active it will shutdown after 10 mins.

normal operation of the vf is once in park and engine off the shutdown message is sent when the drivers door is opened, this starts the sequence of all of the modules going into sleep mode.

i think more of these gremlins will start to appear as these vehicles age because the manufacturer never really designed the electronics for longevity, some of the modules i have tinkered with i have noticed they write to non volatile memory on shutdown/sleep and this type of memory has a write life so only so many writes can be performed until corruption and that will cause failures.

Leon771

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wife took the car into Holden service centre and they said door lock actuator was showing an error code. $600 later, here’s hoping it’s a permanent fix.