Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore Control Modules

Thurmo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 VR SS' 4&5Speed, Manual V8 WH Drifter, VY Wags
G'day everyone, I'm looking at getting a VF SS eventually but was told today by an Auto Electrician that they won't last because the BCM's are made of biodegradable plastic and they will melt over time. He also said that this is the case for all modern Commodores (VN - VF). Was just wondering, does anyone know if this is true?

Cheers

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
There's a about 1,000,000 VN manging their heads of out there

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
was told today by an Auto Electrician that they won't last because the BCM's are made of biodegradable plastic and they will melt over time.

Seriously where do these people get their qualifications, a weetbix box.???

I'm 99% sure the BCM is behind one of the kick panels, so short of setting it on fire, I have zero idea how/why he expects it to simply 'melt'

Biodegradable means it will break down when disposed of, not self- destruct like something from mission impossible.

Unbelievable :confused:

Thurmo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 VR SS' 4&5Speed, Manual V8 WH Drifter, VY Wags
Thanks for the heads up everyone, the sparky wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed anyway. Was just wanting to be sure before I commit to a large scale build. Cheers

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Seriously where do these people get their qualifications, a weetbix box.???

I'm 99% sure the BCM is behind one of the kick panels, so short of setting it on fire, I have zero idea how/why he expects it to simply 'melt'

Biodegradable means it will break down when disposed of, not self- destruct like something from mission impossible.

Unbelievable :confused:
I think the auto sparky must be from Perth. Couldn't find a decent one over there when I lived there.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the heads up everyone, the sparky wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed anyway. Was just wanting to be sure before I commit to a large scale build. Cheers

Buy your SS and enjoy it mate, the only things that might melt are the rear tyres..:D

LMF 17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR
My parents have a 1989 VN Berlina, only issues with it over the years has been four or five batteries, nothing melted yet, lol. Top it all off I’ve nicknamed it the shopping trolley, goes out shopping twice a week and has only just recently clocked over 40,000 km.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Biodegradable plastic bcms that melt lol

I think he has been using lead based solder too much he should have stuck with the leadfree stuffo_O

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think he has been using lead based solder too much he should have stuck with the leadfree stuffo_O

Haha, so true..

He could have at least chosen an under-bonnet component as a candidate for melting. That would have given him some degree of credibility!