Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS with a W547

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The 547 is meant to be 547kw at the flywheel.
What do they charge for the 547kw deal drive in drive out. Anyone know just out of interest?

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
From what I have been told the W package is around 12 k installed .
My Maloo has the 557 package installed by the original owner from new.
HP on mine with no other work is 506 RWHP = 372RWKW not sure on the conversion to
crank output and if being an auto trans makes any difference .
Someone with a bigger brain may be of use here.
It performs well drives like a normal car until you boot it then it does develop a completely
different driving experience , not too loud which I like my old VE with 3" was stupid loud .

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Geoff , I believe the number Walkenshaw states relates to kilowatt as in 557 547 etc at the crank .

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
the wife had the w497 package fitted to her redline when new at the hpf factory and dyno was 498hp at the wheels
we spoke to there long time turner marty and he said all the walkinshaw up grades are flash tuned and that they were specifically
dyno tuned by walkinshaw engineers for each power package
the cars done 13ks some track day sprints and runs drives like a stock car till you stomp it and then it bellows exhaust note the ass digs in and pins you in the seat,
my wife loves her car 2017 redline, and has not had any problems with the walkinshaw w497 package, i told her to get the cam w547 package but she did not want the shake at idle
it drives like a stock ls3 vf2 redline with just a loud exhaust

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
HP on mine with no other work is 506 RWHP = 372RWKW not sure on the conversion to
crank output and if being an auto trans makes any difference .
Someone with a bigger brain may be of use here.
There isn't a conversion factor from rear wheel power on a chassis dyno to power at the flywheel or crank. Only an engine dyno can accurately measure actual engine power and claiming engine power from a chassis dyno (rear wheel) power reading is a rough estimate at best.

In the mid '90's we had a 355ci Holden V8 roller cam engine with a VL Walkinshaw twin throttle body manifold on an engine dyno and made 522hp. In the car (manual VR GTS) it made 365hp on an original software Dyno Dynamics chassis dyno. The same car stock made 205 rwhp, so the new engine provided 160hp increase at the rear wheels with a 30% driveline loss. On the 1/4 mile, it did 11.7 with a Hoosier treaded drag tyre and was a pretty quick car in its day.

In 2012 we had a V8 Supercar engine on an engine dyno and made 640hp and back in the car on the latest program Dyno Dynamics chassis dyno, it made 545hp and a 15% power loss through the driveline. However, every Dyno Dynamic software upgrade made, the power readings increased, and different brand dynos make different power readings with the same car. The way you strap a car down on a chassis dyno can alter the power reading and likewise with diff ratio changes. Ultimately, they're a tuning tool and not much good for estimating flywheel horsepower!

Back in the VR/VS days, the HSV 185kw Holden engine with headers, exhaust and cold air intake did make 20 rwhp more than a stock V8 (SS etc.) and the 5.7 litre GTS/Senator engine made another 25 rwhp. I think the first LS1's in VT (stock SS) made about 15 rwhp more than the HSV Holden stroker engine by memory.

Last edited:

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
So RevNev would you hazard a guesstimate that the drivetrain loss at around 15% ?
Standard diff , as far as i know diff change isn't part of the W package .
So that being on the 557 W
RWKW would be in the range of 474 kw = 635 ish RWHP with my rough maths .

Apolagies to the OP for hijacking this thread .
All I can say from my personal experience with Vic roads , I sold a Ducati
to a friend in Vic it complied for rego up here but he got an absolute fingering from Vic roads
they didn't like anything on the bike that was modified even the slightest thing .
He had to return it to stock to get it through at great cost .
Good luck mate hope you don't have any issues .

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
So RevNev would you hazard a guesstimate that the drivetrain loss at around 15% ?
Standard diff , as far as i know diff change isn't part of the W package .
So that being on the 557 W
RWKW would be in the range of 474 kw = 635 ish RWHP with my rough maths .
Yes, if we use 15% driveline loss, the 557kw kit should make around 474rwkw.
we spoke to there long time turner marty and he said all the walkinshaw up grades are flash tuned and that they were specifically
dyno tuned by walkinshaw engineers for each power package
"Walkinshaw engineers" you mean the tuning bloke at each Walkinshaw Performance agent? Both WP agents in SA told me a couple of years ago the upgrade kits don't come with a tuning file to flash from Walkinshaw head office as part of the kit. One told me they can source a tune from a WP agent in Perth to get the car running and they trim it up from there.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I've never seen a standard WP package getting anywhere near their advertised power claims

I'll even put donuts on it at the drags for them to match power to mph

Hell, I'll run my old 360-380 kwatw HTV2300 LS1 VX SS against a standard W547 for a bag of donuts

The last one I saw was running mid 11's

Marketing is strong at WP