Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Ute suspension ID.

Blangas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 SS V Redline Ute
Hi All,

Recently purchased a VF1 SSV redline ute and wondering if someone can shed some light on my suspension type. No info on it came with the car and the dealer purchased the car interstate , so no luck there.

The engine bay ID plate states FE2 suspension, however, after googling some images of those kits removed from cars, the springs are black and the ride height on cars fitted with them are a little higher than mine. The coil overs in the ute are red and the shocks are Monroes. The springs also have a tag which has an illegible serial number although I can make out a Large "C" below it on the fronts.

I'm guessing Pedders sports springs over Monroe shocks? Does the stock FE2 set up come with Monroes?

Any info appreciated.
20220207_202753.jpg
20220214_193105.jpg

20220214_193134.jpg

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yea those are Pedders springs on OE shocks as Monroe made the OE shocks for Holden.

Blangas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 SS V Redline Ute
I thought that as well. It has all the other features of a redline. 275 rear tyres/ wheels, front Brembos, HUD, competitive driving mode. Maybe the original owner specified FE2? Or the first utes didn't come with it, it is a 2013.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I thought that as well. It has all the other features of a redline. 275 rear tyres/ wheels, front Brembos, HUD, competitive driving mode. Maybe the original owner specified FE2? Or the first utes didn't come with it, it is a 2013.
VE Redline sedans were FE3, but I don't know when it was introduced to a ute. I think the VIN may determine an SSV Redline from an SS. Does it have the front camera (Redline exclusive) at the top of the windscreen, the couple of bulky plastic covers around the rear vision mirror?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
VE Redline sedans were FE3, but I don't know when it was introduced to a ute. I think the VIN may determine an SSV Redline from an SS. Does it have the front camera (Redline exclusive) at the top of the windscreen, the couple of bulky plastic covers around the rear vision mirror?
Utes and wagons got FE3 for MY12.

I thought VF1 Redlines had Brembo's front and rear? HUD's fitted in 2013?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Utes and wagons got FE3 for MY12.

I thought VF1 Redlines had Brembo's front and rear? HUD's fitted in 2013?

I thought the VF1 only had Bembo on the front in silver?

I also thought all Redlines from the VE onwards had FE3.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I thought the VF1 only had Bembo on the front in silver?

I also thought all Redlines from the VE onwards had FE3.
IIRC, APR/Brembos all around we’re a HSV exclusive going back years and it was an unwritten rule not to offer HSV features on Holden commodores. Well that was until the Craig Lowndes edition commodore was released for the 2015 model year which broke the rule as it also had Brembos front and back.

Such unwritten rules didn’t matter for the Chevy SS as I vaugely remember the earlier Chevy SS had silver Brembos all around but that’s a USA model. In 2016 the Chevy SS got red Brembos all around but lost the drop forged wheels at the same time.

In the commodore sedans, IIRC, rear brembos came with the LS3 in 2016 and colours varied with models over the last couple of years of production.

As to suspension, IIRC, LS3’s had revised FE3 but don’t remember what came in models before or whether utes were different. Following short thread says early VF utes had FE2 and that utes have different spring rates, etc to sedans (as would be obvious since they are well different bodies and weigh carrying capacity).

https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...te-does-it-really-have-fe3-suspension.225538/

Blangas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 SS V Redline Ute

Is this the camera and rear view plastics you mean Rev?
20220216_073600.jpg