Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what caravans can i tow with a vf sv6 commodore ute?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So much miss information in this thread.

As someone that literally just got a pre approval for a van I have had an eye on things for sometime. I also have worked extensively setting up tow vehicles and fixing trailers.
You can get a few vans under 2 tons like this one https://www.silversuncaravans.com.au/our-range/saturn/
I was looking at this one my self https://www.silversuncaravans.com.au/our-range/neptune/
There are others on the market but I'm not going to list them all.
With the tow vehicle if you're towing at or above the vehicles weight it's advised to use electric trailer brakes this is because you can use the manual override to apply the brakes to pull the trailer back in from a sway while slowing both the tow vehicle and the trailer.
When fitting the electric trailer brakes it's recommended to use 4mm squared (all wire sizes will be squared) as a minimum. I use 5mm for the brakes it can fit in the socket I also upgrade the earth it's advised to run the trailer earth back to the battery with 5mm and use a circuit breaker not a fuse. I recommend redarc controllers.

With the suspension you can use air shocks if they're still available from Holden that's the best option. Weight distribution hitches might hang down too low to be practical with a commodore but if it works these are great because they take load off the rear suspension and transfer it to the front wheels improving steering and breaking.

If you want to know anything else let me know.

Thanks.
Shane.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
What‘s the misinformation @shane_3800, that you can tow 2100kgs with 120kgs tow ball weight because the tow bar sticker says so? Or is the misinformation related to caravan weights?

I think safe towing is much more than just looking at the max weight on a tow bar sticker and thinking it’ll be fine... (Yes I know you’re not implying that)...

You can also get a few vans well under 2 ton, one even gets as light as 750kgs. Obviously everyone has different needs but those interested in small and light, see best 5 small vans.
As to caravans in general, why is it that so many always have the stove near the only exit door? Fires mostly seem to occur in kitchens so it doesn’t seem too bright to have the only exit near the biggest fire risk area (in my view) :oops:

In any case, nice van you’re getting Shane :) however, do ask the company about trailer ABS/ESC systems. It makes sense to buy a car with ABS/ESC so why not the same logic for the trailer?

Here’s the Boca video in case you didn’t follow the link in one of my previous posts to electric brake thread

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
What‘s the misinformation @shane_3800, that you can tow 2100kgs with 120kgs tow ball weight because the tow bar sticker says so? Or is the misinformation related to caravan weights?

I think safe towing is much more than just looking at the max weight on a tow bar sticker and thinking it’ll be fine... (Yes I know you’re not implying that)...

You can also get a few vans well under 2 ton, one even gets as light as 750kgs. Obviously everyone has different needs but those interested in small and light, see best 5 small vans.
As to caravans in general, why is it that so many always have the stove near the only exit door? Fires mostly seem to occur in kitchens so it doesn’t seem too bright to have the only exit near the biggest fire risk area (in my view) :oops:

In any case, nice van you’re getting Shane :) however, do ask the company about trailer ABS/ESC systems. It makes sense to buy a car with ABS/ESC so why not the same logic for the trailer?

Here’s the Boca video in case you didn’t follow the link in one of my previous posts to electric brake thread

I changed my mind on the van as I now want to buy a house. I was going to live full time in the van and travel when I want.

Reactions: Lex

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
With the tow vehicle if you're towing at or above the vehicles weight it's advised to use electric trailer brakes this is because you can use the manual override to apply the brakes to pull the trailer back in from a sway while slowing both the tow vehicle and the trailer.

There is something in that of concern, because most VFs have electronic anti-sway control that will reduce engine speed when sway is detected, and from what I have experienced, that control will cut in long before the driver realises there is significant sway to apply the brakes separately. So what and who has priority there?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
There is something in that of concern, because most VFs have electronic anti-sway control that will reduce engine speed when sway is detected, and from what I have experienced, that control will cut in long before the driver realises there is significant sway to apply the brakes separately. So what and who has priority there?
The anti sway control of the stability system only corrects the car so the car will be straight but the van could still be swaying in say for example a heavy cross wind over a bridge. You have to keep an eye on the van.
Weight distribution hitches also act as anti sway bars you can also buy just anti sway attachments which are a friction style damper.

Also weight distribution make a huge difference to sway. There is no vehicle based stability control system that could deal with a very heavy rear weighted trailer.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)

The problem I have with vans is their roofline is higher than e.g. the VZ I was driving. This creates an awful lot of wind drag, and by association, quite horrible fuel consumption, not improved even if you're heading downhill, like one memorable 'coaster' somewhere outside Geraldton where I seemed to be going slower rather than the hoped-for Speedy Gonzales!. Jayco has some excellent small vans now that sit neatly below the roofline of sedans and wagons (Finch, Hawk, Dove), and many owners report they are a breeze (literally!) to tow — far smaller and with more creature comforts than what I had. There was also a novel and memorable teardrop shaped van with double bed, fold down shelves, skylight, TV (!), outdoor kitchen (never been keen on that) and aircon! I think it was around $32,000 when I checked it out in 2016 and under 1 tonne.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wind drag tends to a given if you tow a van. You certainly don't own a van necessarily to worry about how much extra fuel you will use. You own a van for comfort. Like I said I have previously owned and towed vans for years. Drag is not something I ever worried about, you can still chug along at 100kph on highways pulling a 1200kg - 1400kg van behind a conventional vehicle, even a 6cyl like I did.

ejwagon

EJwagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF v6 Calais
The trailer wiring loom installed with the towbar also includes an electronic brake controller as part of its assembly, so that's one fiddling thing out of the way. But there is likely to be additional cost in configuring the wiring at the van.

I don't think a brake controller itself is included with the factory bar. Happy to be corrected but my VF Calais with dealer fitted 2100kg bar did not come with a brake controller.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I don't think a brake controller itself is included with the factory bar. Happy to be corrected but my VF Calais with dealer fitted 2100kg bar did not come with a brake controller.
The VF has trailer sway control built into the vehicles braking system but a factory trailer electric braking system isn’t included in the tow-bar kit‘s wiring controller.

If you want an electric brake controller for your electric trailer brakes, that’s an after market purchase.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You want to trigger this guy, talk towing.

He is an automotive engineer. He knows his stuff better than most. There’s little argument