Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which shocks should I get for my VF Redline?

GXP25

Reaction score
Members Ride
G8 GXP
Can anyone advise on nolathene strut mounts vs rubber? I'm leaning towards stock rubber mounts.

I'd go with the SuperPro Polyelast (durability of polyurethane but softness of rubber; lifetime warranty): https://www.g8board.com/threads/best-rubber-strut-mounts.257178/#post-3420641

If installing Koni rear shocks just check the lower spring mount measurement to the original.

I had this problem with my Koni's. The spring mount point on the Koni shock is different to that of the original shocks. I was running SSL all around with original shocks and it was level but when I changed to the Koni's had to go to a SL in the rear to keep it level.

Correct. The mount sits lower than OEM. You'll need Koni's sleeves to correct this: https://www.g8board.com/threads/nee...n-performance-suspension.265194/#post-3645433

GXP25

Reaction score
Members Ride
G8 GXP
Cuda, I have kings SL all round. Here is a pic of SL fronts. You can clearly see the SL on the end of the part no. I think you received the wrong Front Springs if their is no SL on the end of the part no.

View attachment 211094

The pic below is the springs I originally had, but the front did not lower enough like the back SL's, so I fitted the above SL to the front to match the rear SL and it sits perfectly for me.

View attachment 211095

That's how it's listed on Kings' website for the VF.

Lowered coil:
Front: KHFL-151
Rear: KHRL-152SL

KHFL-151SL is for Super Low front.

I suspect when you combine these matched springs with Koni shocks in the rear (with the seat issue), it makes the rear even more lower.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
That's good height. still practical by the looks of it.
What shocks are you using ?

OE shocks and they still performing as expected. I'll go Coilovers once these are shagged.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
That's good height. still practical by the looks of it.
What shocks are you using ?

Agreed, looks very close to my Clubbie. Its a good height for most stuff (especially as its not a daily anymore), apart from really severe entrances (some petrol stations are nightmare). I've had a couple of scrapes where going in at an angle wasn't possible.

Looks loads better than the normal Redline height

XliGTiX.jpg

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Agreed, looks very close to my Clubbie. Its a good height for most stuff (especially as its not a daily anymore), apart from really severe entrances (some petrol stations are nightmare). I've had a couple of scrapes where going in at an angle wasn't possible.

Looks loads better than the normal Redline height

XliGTiX.jpg

What springs are you using ?

GXP25

Reaction score
Members Ride
G8 GXP
*delete please*

Last edited:

GXP25

Reaction score
Members Ride
G8 GXP
OE shocks and they still performing as expected. I'll go Coilovers once these are shagged.

If you went Koni Sports yellow or FSD you would be much lower in the rear. You'd need their sleeve to correct Koni's flimsy [what looks like] aluminum seat (at least that's how it comes North America, which is flat and not notched for the spring) which sits on the shock circlip but has a gull wing shape that makes it sit below it. Ignore the rubber isolator in the following image.

GiV67yO.jpg

Pontiac_G8_Koni_Rear_Strut_Shock_800x.jpg

Thanks, had no idea these were available. I'll check it out.

You're welcome. Hopefully they're available in Australia.