Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WIFI Apple or Android Carplay

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I thought it was wireless?
Its a dongle that has wifi that connects to your phone but it does need to be plugged into the usb so you can leave your phone in your pocket instead of having to plug it in to use Android Auto . The wifi range is quite far as my garage is downstairs and connects not a problem if i start the car with the phone upstairs . Older Android Auto head units do require you to plug your phone in

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Its a dongle that has wifi that connects to your phone but it does need to be plugged into the usb so you can leave your phone in your pocket instead of having to plug it in to use Android Auto . The wifi range is quite far as my garage is downstairs and connects not a problem if i start the car with the phone upstairs
Thankyou

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
HI Guys - FYI I received a test firmware update for AAWireles yesterday, and it's now working with my MY18 ZB Calais V :)

dicc01

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS 3.6
For wireless CarPlay, Carlinkit 2 dongle works brilliantly in my RS V6. Loving it.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
Hi guys, I was an early purchaser of the aawireless device made by Emil on xda forums. Works perfectly on my ZB commodore 2018 after tweaking a few settings within the app - constant and consistent wireless android auto working without disconnections, very happy.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Hi guys, I was an early purchaser of the aawireless device made by Emil on xda forums. Works perfectly on my ZB commodore 2018 after tweaking a few settings within the app - constant and consistent wireless android auto working without disconnections, very happy.
Out if curiosity, what firmware are you running, and which model ZB?

For my CalaisV, I need to be running a firmware build 20210601 or later.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
Out if curiosity, what firmware are you running, and which model ZB?

For my CalaisV, I need to be running a firmware build 20210601 or later.

I'm not running the latest firmware but the version before. Don't have access to my car otherwise would give you the exact number and settings etc. 2.0 turbo LTG with the 7inch screen. Only issues I had was with an Xiaomi phone and internet connection while connected to WiFi

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
my aa wireless dongle arrived today and i have to say it is an awesome bit of gear.
no special apps required, just plug it in and pair the aawireless bluetooth with your phone and you are good to go for wireless android auto.

it only takes a few seconds on startup for the phone to connect and display android auto and all the android auto apps work fine including my media player that plays video while driving without lagg issues so it ticked all the boxes i wanted.

i tested it out with a usb hub and it still works with the aa wireless connected and a usb drive of music so with a few plug combinations the aa wireless dongle can be installed under the dash next to the mylink base unit and the usb in the console can remain free for other devices which is something i am going to do.

my zb is a 2018 rs with the 7 inch mylink and the phone used was a galaxy fold 3.
i do not see any reason other android 9+ phones would not work but i dont know about the 8 inch mylink.

if you want android auto to be wireless in your zb then this is the bit of kit to make that possible, the wait times for shipping are long but well worth it.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I ended up buying 2 , first and second gen and they both work great , yes definitely long waits but as stooge say "well worth it "
EDIT: The other phone i'm using is a S8+ and a Kenwood , no issues , and a S20+ and Alpine Halo9

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
On topic, the Apple Airport Express can easily be modified to be a wifi hotspot in the car. They can be converted over to 5v and so can an Apple TV which would be connected to that. Then you can operate The two via aux input.