Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais v upgrades

Thetabop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais v
I just purchased a new 2015 calais v v8,
I am interested in getting some upgrades such as otr intake exhaust and extractors to bring the power somewhere around 310-320 kW.

However I have never done this before and am quite new to it all, I'm not sure who to get to do it and what brands.

I also was thinking I may get redline wheels put on the back atleast as I don't want the improved power to cause it to lose traction on launch. Anyone got some helpful advise for a noobie?

Additionally I don't want to do anything to lose my AFM, I also want the engine, gearbox etc to last 300-400,000 km. And I'm not sure how the improved power will effect this.

Last edited:

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Careful boy........The words "exhaust, extractors and I don't want to lose AFM" puts you fair in PIR4TE waters!

dantheman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Welcome.

I recently put a catback on my car so will add my 2 cents.

If I had my time again I probably wouldn't have done that mod as it's my daily. The noise can be annoying at times especially when I want some peace and quiet.

I would probably just do an intake and tune to get the power. With the exhaust I can hear and feel the engine/exhaust now as it shuffles between 5th/6th. Previously I couldn't tell when it was doing this

I also had the afm switched off and made no difference to fuel economy. I'd recommend getting it switched off if you're going the whole hog.

While the sound brings a smile to my dial when I start it or give it some. I also would like peace and quiet also. In saying that it has carboned up now a it and has quietened down a little which is ok

Thetabop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais v
I know pir4te is one of the posters here, but I don't know enough about it all to get your sarcasm lol

Thetabop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais v
Good to know, it will be my daily car

Edit - After a heap more looking around and research, Im leaning toward just the otr and tune,
I don't want to lose my AFM or my holden warranty,

those 2 things shouldn't effect warranty right?

Last edited:

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Tune could impact your warranty.
If you dial up the power and something breaks as a result, Holden aren't going to fix it for nothing.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
To ask a question that I think is relevant to this thread, for the exhaust what about putting on a complete HSV standard exhaust, you will have factory sound (not noisy as an after market as mentioned by dantheman). You would then at least have decent extractors along with a quiet factory type system, but the question then is how much difference would this make (power) compared to standard Holden exhaust? You don't usually hear about any one doing this, presumably as most are chasing V8 sounding exhaust over quiet factory system.

</3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv redline ute
If you dont want to tune out afm, the plug in Range Technology Active Fuel Management Disable Device is your only/best option, but drone will still be your issue, honestly again best/only option is to put the rapid exhaust marriage savers on or
if you want to have the deepest possible sound with minimal drone then you start with 4-2-1 long throw headers.
Cross over 3+7 and 6+8 between bell and trans pan.
Fabricate a proper megaphone expansion chamber, incorporating High Flow Cats.
Spaces out the pulses like this (pressure pulse = black cells):
504875C6-F7D3-4C99-8F38-DE675736F18A.jpg

Evenly spaced with double-pulse sounds much like a flat plane (Ferrari, GT350, a few rare AMG V8s).
Crossover pipes as described fitted to Holden GenIV V8:
[video=youtube_share;KrtAuNL5Tr0]http://youtu.be/KrtAuNL5Tr0[/video]

Why?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Harrop enhanced VF Redline Manual
Where does one get such an exhaust?

Thetabop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais v
I live about 3hrs from Melbourne, and just today I found out that there is a local guy that can to the work for me.

He offered a tune, otr and a much less restrictive muffler and a before and after dyno for $2560 fitted, for around 40-50 rwkw increase, I believe they were VCM? Parts.

He also said that AFM only actually counts for 1-2% improved fuel effiency, and that it was basically just a selling point. Turning it off won't really harm my economy.

Budget is a big consideration for me, as I just out laid nearly $60k for the car. And I'm not made of money.

But this did sound like a very agreeable deal to me.