Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Down Sizing Wheels

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
According to the above, every lb lost in unsprung weight = 1 hp gain? that's - 0.454 kg = +0.75kw roughly speaking, every kilo lost in wheel's weight = 1.5 kw gain in power. True or False?

You may gain performance coz less weight but you won't magically gain additional horsepower. The only way to gain additional horsepower is to modify the motor.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Wrong choice of word, shouldn't say "gain"...
1 kg of unsprung weight reduction = 1.5 kw power "advantage"??

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
There is a saying that goes for wheels "light, strong, cheap.... choose any two !".

Unsprung weight is definitely important, but in big power, heavy road cars like these it's less noticeable than in a 600kg track day special.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
There is a saying that goes for wheels "light, strong, cheap.... choose any two !".

Unsprung weight is definitely important, but in big power, heavy road cars like these it's less noticeable than in a 600kg track day special.

I have them on a couple of street cars and when I occasionally swap them out for whatever reason and swap back again I definitely notice them.

The way the car jumps in anger from a standing start is very noticeable.

I don't notice them with in gear acceleration but I do as soon as I turn in, they are the perfect compliment to sticky tyres and a good suspension package for spirited driving on twisty mountain roads.

Last edited:

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
It’s not just unsprung mass but mostly rotational mass which makes the big difference in accelerating and braking

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Talking precision engineering, bought a set of aluminium hub centric rings for the TSW wheels, instead of the correct size of 76mm-66.9mm. I got 76.1mm-66.9mm...and they didn't fit. 0.1mm too large. Had to pay a local engineering workshop to shave 0.1 mm off the rings. I couldn't even find the correct size rings in plastic. Anyway, still waiting for the replacement TSW wheels from New Zealand.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Replacement wheels TSW "Nurburgring" arrived yesterday at the local tyre shop, I went there today and found out the front wheels are the wrong size, 19x8 instead of the 19x8.5 which I ordered. So much hassles in buying a set of after market wheels for the Redlines, mistakes after mistakes, first I ordered the TSW "Interlagos" back in mid- September, after a week or so, they said that they were out of stock, then I picked TSW "Bathrust" but the front wheels were touching the brake calliper, then they said the "Nurburgring" should fit but sent the wrong size front wheels. It has been over 8 weeks now, still no wheels. Took the factory HF 20" off my ute and weighted it with the tyre, 25.5 kg on my bathroom scale.

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
yeah i had similar problems with TSW. two different cars. one set had a completely different rim in the box.told wheels were in stock when they weren't. had them available on website but then told only in USA. told getting wheels up from sydney one day the next day told they are coming from USA,then held in customs then would be there at 3pm. hopeless to deal with but great wheels.
cheers
warrick

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Just checking the "wrong" size 8J front wheels to see if 245mm wide tyres can be fitted. Holden original front size is 8.5J for 245mm tyres and 9.0J for 275mm tyres at the rear. I ordered 8.5J front & 9.5J Rear. Apparently 245mm will fit the 8J wheel but to my surprise to find out that according to Tyre Size Calculator from Google, 275mm is too "wide" for the 9.0J original factory wheels and is not "recommended". The maximum width of tyres for 9.0J wheels is 265mm. Has Holden been selling Redlines with incorrect fitted rear tyres/wheels???

Rim Min.Tyre Ideal Tyre Max.Tyre
width Width Width Width
(inches) (mm) (mm) (mm)

8.0 215 225 or 235 245
8.5 225 235 or 245 255
9.0 235 245 or 255 265
9.5 245 255 or 265 275
10 255 265 or 275 285
10.5 265 275 or 285 295

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Decided to have those 8J front wheels fitted to my ute, so now both the front and back wheels have the maximum tyre width on them. Those TSW "Nurburgring" wheels have plenty of gap between wheel and brake callipers, in fact more than the factory fitted wheels. Might as well I brought my own spigot rings for the wheels, those TSW supplied weren't even close. See I can take some photos of the wheels.