Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for help from Down Under

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
Hi everyone,

New to the forum, and I see you guys are still pretty active so I'm hoping you can help me out. I purchased a MY 05 VZ Crewman SS that a previous owner had imported to the States a couple years ago and I'm getting around to putting it back together. It came as a shell so it has no engine, dash, interior, or electronics in it other than the interior harness for the BCM. I need to get all new modules, but the thing is over here Gen IV V8s are much easier to get your hands on than Gen III V8s, and I know the MY06 and 07 VZ Utes ran with L98 V8s and E38 computers, so I want to make my Crewman run the same way.

I purchased an engine harness from a VZ SS Thunder with an L98 and automatic and I'm using that as my guide to repin a Pontiac GTO harness I have. The GTOs used the E40 ECU. I don't think you guys ever had the E40 used in any Holden, but it's not a great ECU and they are getting hard to find. So I'd rather just use an E38 and build around that. I know which version of E38 OS I need to talk to the PIM and the BCM. There are a couple of other things I'm hoping someone over there can help me with.

1) I need the VIN from a MY06 VZ Thunder SS Ute with a manual transmission. I have a friend that has access to the GM SBS database and he can download programming for any ECU, but it costs $40 every time he does it. He already has a program for L98 with auto, but we need one with an L98 with manual for comparison testing (and my Crewman came with a manual, want to keep it true to its origins). But, you need a valid VIN to download a tune form the site.

2) I need the pinout for the body harness of a MY06 VZ Thunder SS, the one that connects to the E38 and goes into the car. The E40 uses three different connectors and the E38 only has two, so I need to repin the body harness side as well. A friend down there gave me all the service manual files for everything VU to VZ, but it only goes up to MY05, so I'm in the dark about how the E38 is pinned out on the body side.

I would be so grateful to anyone that could help me out with either of these things. I really want to start putting this Crewman back together. So far as I know, it would be only the 3rd running, driving Crewman in the US. I'll also be chronicling the build on my YouTube channel, Josh's Car Corner.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I know who you are :)

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Crewman shares the same body harness as sedan. It is identical right up to the plug that goes through the body at the lower right rear and connects below the fuel filler.
It even has the wiring into that plug for remote boot opening like a sedan and boot light.
However the BCM has no pins for those in the harness, even though they are there.

I have two Crewmans. One '07 V6 and one an '05 AWD LS1 Cross8 Crewman.

My '07 V6 uses a sedan harness(from a Calais) in the roof lining and down the side to the back. My Cross8 uses the same harnesses as well. We have a VZ sedan to compare to.

The harness for the back is shared by Crewman and One Tonner.

2) I need the pinout for the body harness of a MY06 VZ Thunder SS, the one that connects to the E38 and goes into the car. The E40 uses three different connectors and the E38 only has two, so I need to repin the body harness side as well. A friend down there gave me all the service manual files for everything VU to VZ, but it only goes up to MY05, so I'm in the dark about how the E38 is pinned out on the body side.

Hold my beer.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Check your messages/conversations (the little envelope on the screen)

Now, I think this is what you will be after.

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.49.27 am.png

This is where the diagrams are located in the document

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.45.59 am.png

Pin outs numbering and plug ID.

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.46.31 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.46.58 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.47.12 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.47.28 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.47.44 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.48.47 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.48.47 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.48.22 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 11.48.10 am.png

I think I got them all. I might have posted one twice.

Last edited:

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
Check your messages/conversations (the little envelope on the screen)

Now, I think this is what you will be after.

View attachment 232129
This is where the diagrams are located in the document

View attachment 232120
Pin outs numbering and plug ID.

View attachment 232121View attachment 232122View attachment 232123View attachment 232124View attachment 232125View attachment 232128View attachment 232128View attachment 232127View attachment 232126
I think I got them all. I might have posted one twice.
You sir, are a legend! This is EXACTLY what I need! I also got a VIN from a very nive guy on a Facebook Ute group as well so I have that piece, too. This will get me a long way.

For the record, I will be doing all this on my Crewman as well, but the guinea pig is going to be my GTO. If can get this working in my GTO, it will keep a few more GTOs on the road in the States.

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good news! I was able to get an E38 computer programmed with the OS from an 06 Thunder SS manual Ute. Next step is to attempt to security link it to my PIM and see if it works. If it does, everything should work. However, I also discovered that the GTO harness uses round pins for the E40 ECU, and the E38 uses square pins, so I have put new pins on the whole harness. A bit of a headache, but I still think this is gonna work and it will be a US first.

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
Another update. I have discovered a potential issue when it comes to starting the engine. Our E40 computers are set up to receive Circuit ID #5 (Crank Request) from the ignition switch to a pin on the ECM. Once received, it send 12V to the starter relay on Circuit #447, same as a Holden. It looks like the VZ Utes have Circuit ID #5 going to Pin 11 on the Powertrain Interface Module, the request is converted to CANBUS and sent to the ECM, then Circuit #447 is activated. This pin is not in use on the GTO. My hope is with any luck, all of the PIMs operate on the same software and I can send Circuit #5 to Pin 11 on my PIM and it will work the same.

The best way I can think to verify they are the same is by part number. I took a picture of the sticker on the bottom of my PIM. Would anyone be willing to check the sticker on their PIM to verify that the part number is the same?

Attachments

• 20220131_202150(1).jpg
    20220131_202150(1).jpg
    155 KB · Views: 109