Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New VF commodore

Lauren2905

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore sv6
Hi all! I just bought a VF SV6 commodore. The previous owner had advised he put unleaded 91 in the car but I am just wondering if I should continue to put this or if I should put 95? Just wanting the best for the car.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It should be happy enough on 91, but there are rumours that premium unleaded has less contaminants in it.

How do you use it? If it's mostly highway / country usage then you probably won't pay any more to run the car on 95 either, but if it's around-town use then the 91 will probably be cheaper (the higher-octane fuel doesn't provide quite as much fuel-economy benefit with stop-start driving).

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
VF V6? Use 91 unleaded. The cost/benefit ratio of using 95 or 98 is dubious. Also don't pay any credence to the spurious claims fuel suppliers make about how their fuel cleans the 'dirt' from your engine and why their fuels are so much better than their competitors.
The majority of our fuels all come from the same refinery in Singapore.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The cost/benefit ratio of using 95 or 98 is dubious.
Depends what you value ... we don't do a lot of km's per year (we've got 31k kms on our 2014), and I've found that "the car not feeling busted" is a benefit that way overcomes our financial cost from running PULP. :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If you want to do the best for your car, probably better to change the engine oil and filter more frequently than Holden’s normal service intervals specify. Use the same logic for auto trans fluid and diff oils if your SV6 has LSD (which i dont thing they did, other than maybe the SV6 Black edition).

That’s especially the case if you do lots of short drives (<15 minutes) or you’re in lots of stop/start traffic.

As is, the SV6 accepts the cheaper 91 RON as minimum and will happily and safely run on it for 100’s of thousands of kms. However, engines don’t like long oil change intervals which can coagulate if left for too long and thus kill the engine. Clean oil is the lifeblood of an engine, transmission and diff and much more important than using higher obtain fuel.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I thought LSD was mandatory in all SV6?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I thought LSD was mandatory in all SV6?

nope just manual.
88EF8CFF-308A-46BA-BA05-2A30774A710A.jpeg

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I can tell you the SV6 knock sensors are pulling timing out on 98 up to 3400rpm then again over 5000rpm. On 91, the engine would be running on the knock sensors with substantial power loss over 98.