Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not serviced for 3 years

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks mate, have a kit on the way from eBay. Looks like I'll have to remove 1 wheel at a time to get access to the valve which is ok..

Sometimes, you are able to get to the bleeder nipple on the front brakes, by having the wheels full locked in 1 direction and the car jacked up (on axle stands of course)....

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There's no need to buy anything special to empty the master cylinder. I use a trigger top from an old cleaner bottle. Just dip the pipe into the full cylinder and squirt the old fluid into a jar until the m/c is almost drained. Refill with fresh fluid and start bleeding.

vfeffed

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SV6 Manual
Hey guys,

Did an engine coolant change today. Had the Haynes manual as a guide.

Did all steps but remove the coolant reservoir. I just stuck a hose down it and flushed it out.

When I was refilling the coolant into the cap on the engine, it ended up putting almost 6 liters of coolant concentrate, so its more than the 50/50 mix. The coolant was not filled up to the top of the cap. I took it for a drive, the temperature seemed a bit low for a while at first but seemed to come up to temperature, though it took longer than it normally would. Ran the heater at that was working fine.

I let the car cool. I just checked under the engine coolant cap and could barely see any coolant. Knowing that I had put more coolant in than I was supposed to initially, I started filling with water, it took almost a litre of water before it was full to the cap again.

The radiator reservoir level is higher than the max, not with coolant but just the water I that it filled with he hose from earlier so I don't think it was cycled into the engine.

Should I just keep running the car and topping it up at the cap until the level stops dropping?

Thanks!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hey guys,

Did an engine coolant change today. Had the Haynes manual as a guide.

Did all steps but remove the coolant reservoir. I just stuck a hose down it and flushed it out.

When I was refilling the coolant into the cap on the engine, it ended up putting almost 6 liters of coolant concentrate, so its more than the 50/50 mix. The coolant was not filled up to the top of the cap. I took it for a drive, the temperature seemed a bit low for a while at first but seemed to come up to temperature, though it took longer than it normally would. Ran the heater at that was working fine.

I let the car cool. I just checked under the engine coolant cap and could barely see any coolant. Knowing that I had put more coolant in than I was supposed to initially, I started filling with water, it took almost a litre of water before it was full to the cap again.

The radiator reservoir level is higher than the max, not with coolant but just the water I that it filled with he hose from earlier so I don't think it was cycled into the engine.

Should I just keep running the car and topping it up at the cap until the level stops dropping?

Thanks!

Yes
Keep topping up with water

vfeffed

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SV6 Manual
Awesome!

Thanks mate. I'll be doing the break fluid flush next.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Don't forget to bleed air from the radiator as it won't be full of coolant until you bleed the air out. If it is the same as VE, it's quite easy. Warm up engine until there is pressure in the top radiator hose, then carefully slide off the little hose on top of radiator near the main hose. Air will hiss out followed by coolant. When there's a steady stream of coolant coming out slide the little hose back on without burning yourself.
Bleeding one wheel at a time is normal, starting with the back wheel on passenger side. If you use a red or blue coloured brake fluid it's easier to see the new fluid coming through as the colour changes.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
Hi everybody,

As the title suggests I haven't had my car serviced in 3 years. Dumb I know so I'm happy to cop some slack for it.

I haven't serviced it because I have only travelled 4085kms in this time. I had a work vehicle that I also used for personal use.

The car literally sits in the garage doing nothing, out of sight, out of mind. I haven't given servicing it any thought as I've figured it’s not doing the KMs to justify the work required at the service intervals. It would be up for its 120,000 KM service had I kept up with the servicing schedule though it has only done 33,531 KMs.

I am leaving that job and will start using my car again. I have only just learned that oil amongst other fluids in the car can 'go off', so regardless of the KMs I've done this oil is way past its used by date?

I plan to do an oil change at minimum ASAP, should I be doing an engine oil flush also?

What else should I be doing with the car after having it sit around so long. As it stands it runs/drives fine. I charged the battery in it every so often so no issue there.

Thanks all :)

I wouldn't worry to much my Jan 16 build SS is about to turn 4 and has 6700kms on it(same as you Ranger gets hammered for work duties), oil changed at 1000kms and at 6000 gets driven on a good run once a month everything else is good