Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The question again...VF Clubby or VF2 SSV Redline

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I know someone that used to avoid HSV's and for whatever reason buy an SS and option it up to the hilt. in the end the SS cost somewhere between a Clubsport and a GTS. Options or no options, it was still an SS, which was reflected when it came time to trade in. For the past 10 years he's bought HSV's, based on resale being much better.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
power........

This is a moot point. A PeteSS mentioned above, you spend the money you save upgrading the Holden. I plan to spend $4-$5k on a power update and my SSVR will also make 400kw. I might spend a bit more upgrading the seats.
You end up with a similar package for $12-$15k less.
If MRC is eventually added (including the ability to stiffen the handling/suspension) this becomes an even better equation.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
The key for me is to start with the powerful car and make it more powerful. An N/A SS is not a powerful car

If you're going to upgrade the HSV anyway, why not start with a base SS and then add the better blower and other bits?
There are examples in post my ride of people supercharging SS models and getting crazy power and the cost of doing so was significantly less than starting with a HSV as the base.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
I'm not into upgrading my cars, Im one of those people who prefers to leave stock as a rock, just like it did from factory. The only thing I may change might be headers and just do a dyno tune on it. That's it. Oh and maybe paint all those black plastic bits ona HSV Gloss black to match the gloss black roof. That's all.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
This is a moot point. A PeteSS mentioned above, you spend the money you save upgrading the Holden. I plan to spend $4-$5k on a power update and my SSVR will also make 400kw. I might spend a bit more upgrading the seats.
You end up with a similar package for $12-$15k less.
If MRC is eventually added (including the ability to stiffen the handling/suspension) this becomes an even better equation.
If the SS only costs $12k-$15k less in the end, the resale of the HSV will make the HSV cheaper to own overall.
A modified Commodore is worth insignificantly more than a stock one, if not less, on the used market.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The key for me is to start with the powerful car and make it more powerful. An N/A SS is not a powerful car

Some HSV are powerful but because they are in principal a tuner car they’re still hamstrung by the engineering of the donor car which isn’t efficient at getting its power to the ground and therefore for all that power the HSV’s aren’t necessarily quick.

This is the type of argument that can go around and around in a perpetual circle, what to use as a base for mods, an entry level vehicle or its premium variant.

I’ve been down the mod route with both Holden and HSV a number of times and these days I simplify it by starting with what I think looks the best and follow it up with how much I’d like the luxury bits and pieces.

Others may see a cheaper starting point enables more funds to purchase higher grade aftermarket parts and it can be done over a period of time as finances become available.

If I was after a sedan I’d go the HSV as I prefer the look.

If it was a Ute then I like the front of the Maloo but not the back where I think the Holden looks much better.

And given the only reason I a buy a Ute these days is to take our Golden Retriever to the beach as it’s rarely driven for anything else, a Holden with a soft Tonneau cover is a better option than the Hard Lid Maloo.

A few years back I was going to buy a Maloo and looked into changing the Sail Plane and the other bits around the rear screen over to the SSV stuff but after realising the mucking around required to have it painted and fitted then find a safe place to store the hard lid I decided it was all too much trouble and have gone Holden for Utes ever since.

Everyone can offer you advice but really you are the only one that knows what you’d prefer and as far as resale goes, they all take a big hit but eventually if they do become popular as a classic then it’s the premium models that will be sort after.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
If the SS only costs $12k-$15k less in the end, the resale of the HSV will make the HSV cheaper to own overall.
A modified Commodore is worth insignificantly more than a stock one, if not less, on the used market.

I understand this point but for me it's also moot. There won't be any other commodores after the one I buy and I'm not planning on selling it.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
And given the only reason I a buy a Ute these days is to take our Golden Retriever to the beach as it’s rarely driven for anything else, a Holden with a soft Tonneau cover is a better option than the Hard Lid Maloo..

Geez that is one special dog....