Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II SS cabin air filter

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
One last say on the matter if I may?

Your reference to "the correct procedure" is where the problem lies.

IMO the "correct procedure" is whatever gets the job done with the least cost, time, etc.

Just because something is done quicker and/or cheaper doesn't mean that it's done incorrectly.

It just means that it's done quicker and/or cheaper.

Anyhoo, we'll be looking for a new fridge in a month or so.

If you don't mind I pass on the candidates to you to research.

I'll reckon you'll be like a dog with a bone and I'll be happy to go with your recommendation :)
Yep, more than one way to skin a cat but the cat skinner knows best.

Oh, as for the fridge, I checked them all out and I’d recommend you get a cold one :p

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Problem was that in my VF series 2, the bloody screen didn’t want to come out. No idea why, it just didn’t want to move. I tried pulling it out using pliers but I didn’t want to move at all. And I didn’t want to break anything.
i used vice grips, but thats only because thats what i had on hand. it did require a bit on a yank on them, so maybe normal pliers might have slipped.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
In the time spent talking/typing about it you could've replaced it about 5 times bruv. Less time talking...more time working ;)

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
This is a funny read. I have changed many filters over the years. I have changed probably 5 in my own cars and probably more of my mates cars. I can do this in under 10 minutes without taking wipers and covers off etc. It's got me stuffed why you would take the windscreen wiper off anyway. Even the accessory guide for he filter does not say take windscreen wipers off.

The old filter can be hard to take out. the trick is to stick a flat screwdriver on the frame of the old mesh filter and pry it out a bit to grab it with your fingers. Tough on the arms working blind but it does come out. My mates faces have a funny look when it pops out! the new filter if installed properly fits snug without any gaps. You just need to install it back within the guides. Fark know why you would take all the covers off.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
i used vice grips, but thats only because thats what i had on hand. it did require a bit on a yank on them, so maybe normal pliers might have slipped.
My pliers didn’t slip... maybe I should have gone to the gym and built up some muscle as I probably didn’t yank it hard enough for fear of breaking it.

But it’s all good now... didn’t take anywhere as long as people make out.

In contrast the Hyundai i30 took about 2 minutes to change the cabin air filters (yes it has a large one and a smaller one sliding next to each other behind the glove box). Pushed on two clips that allowed the glove box to drop, then pusher odd the smal strut on the side of the glove box where it dropped further. Then it was just a squeeze of a clip and the filter cover pops off and the filters slide out.

In the time spent talking/typing about it you could've replaced it about 5 times bruv. Less tine talking...more time working ;)
And it took longer to write the i30 process than to do it, just as with the MSE :p

By comparison to the i30, the Holden design is sub standard... all Holden needed to do was to provide an access port on the air inlet grill support panel, a corresponding access port on the air inlet grill and a slightly different design on the air housing conver which would allow it to be popped off for the top to then access and replace the cabin air filter. These are all parts Holden redesigned in the VF so they could have chosen to do it correctly with serviceability in mind... but I’m sure the poor design will be defended and i’ll be bagged for not doing it the ‘optimised way’.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is a funny read...Fark know why you would take all the covers off.
Ah, because it’s my car and I didn’t want to break anything and also wanted to check out what seemed to me to be a poor design by Holden. And I’m sure I wouldn’t be the first to curse at automotive designers.

The reality was it only took an extra 20 minutes... and I saw how poorly the metal work was painted.

As @Ron Burgundy says, in the time I spent commenting, I could have done dozens of VF (even using the ‘remove the farkin wiper method’) :D

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Ah, because it’s my car and I didn’t want to break anything

But hang on, you did break something? The seal on the wiper arm was torn was it not?

You are arguing your point for the sake of arguing. The way you were advised to do it via this forum, would not have only been quicker and easier, it would also have not resulted in any non-necessary parts being removed and/or damaged.

Seriously, grow up

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
But hang on, you did break something? The seal on the wiper arm was torn was it not?

You are arguing your point for the sake of arguing. The way you were advised to do it via this forum, would not have only been quicker and easier, it would also have not resulted in any non-necessary parts being removed and/or damaged.

Seriously, grow up
I can throw the same comment back at you. You are arguing for the sake of arguing, you should grow up.

Advice is free, take it or leave it, but you are all carry on as if i have broken some cardingal rule by not following the crowd mentality.

Others have stated they got cuts and scratches, all i got was a trivial tear in part of the right hand wiper gromet during assembly - big deal.

My statement that "I didn’t want to break anything" was with reference to the point in time when the passenger air grill was off and i couldn't remove the screen filter as it seemed stuck. You should have understood that had you been following the thread. So maybe you are just wanting to be difficult, child like in part by saying the equivelant of "na nana nana you broke something".

Why can't you accept, that even though it's not the best way, in your view, i was happy to do it the way i did.

Maybe it's the comments about poor design that upsets you sensibilities and blind love for anything Holden, i don't know and don't really care.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
I can throw the same comment back at you. You are arguing for the sake of arguing, you should grow up.

Advice is free, take it or leave it, but you are all carry on as if i have broken some cardingal rule by not following the crowd mentality.

Others have stated they got cuts and scratches, all i got was a trivial tear in part of the right hand wiper gromet during assembly - big deal.

My statement that "I didn’t want to break anything" was with reference to the point in time when the passenger air grill was off and i couldn't remove the screen filter as it seemed stuck. You should have understood that had you been following the thread. So maybe you are just wanting to be difficult, child like in part by saying the equivelant of "na nana nana you broke something".

Why can't you accept, that even though it's not the best way, in your view, i was happy to do it the way i did.

Maybe it's the comments about poor design that upsets you sensibilities and blind love for anything Holden, i don't know and don't really care.
And this is why mechanics will always have a job! Either doing the job in the first place or fixing a stuff up from some DIYer who thinks with a set of Stanley screwdrivers a claw hammer and a rusty chisel they can fix anything.
Seriously you have taken on one of the easiest jobs in the book and turned it into a s#@tfight. Some people should never pop the bonnet!!! Wipers off for a pollen filter??? Mate your off your rocker!

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
How to change a cabin air filter... in 139 posts. :)