Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF suspension/coils question

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
lm not certain what you mean by auto. Unloaded you need to keep bout 20 psi in to prevent the bag from damage. With about 100 kg on the toe bar on fe2 springs l put 40 psi and thats enough to sit the car level when loaded and hitched and trailer loaded also. Sometines you can fit higher/lower trailer profile tyres to acheive a level trailer or just change the toe tounge to suit.The car will still squat and function as it need under peddle and cornering. You are also best to set your trailer height level to match maybee 10 ml heigher than the toe ball, meaning sit the coupling above the ball about 10 ml and the trailer should look just off level front heigh. Then load your trailer hevy on the axles and light front and back. Dont heavy the front and up the psi it will naturaly pig root..You will want the car 10ml possibly higher at the rear gaurds in my experience all loaded and occupants in tbe car.
is their a cylinder for air pressure and where us the pressure controller located?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
How do the air risers work, Auto underload keeps a similar height?
@abuch47 as you’ve likely read the accessory installation manual I linked to in post #8, where it describes Holden’s air suspension in a pictorial form, you should realise that there is no ‘auto’ feature ;)

Holden’s system is a dumb but reliable good ‘ol manual system. You simply inject air into the shocks via the rear mounted Schroder valve when you attach a trailer. Usually one does this at the nearest petrol station as they don’t like old fashion hand pumps :rolleyes:

You then let air out via the rear mounted Schroder valve when you uncouple your trailer at home :p

It’s easy peasy but if you want to get all technical, simply use a tyre pressure gauge when pumping the system up or letting the air out and stay within the pressures as mentioned by @gohrdrgomad.

If you’re talking of some other automated self leveling system, well it must have as minimum a level sensor on the rear or the car, an air tank and tank pressure sensor, a compressor, a dryer, a few air control valves that let air from the tank into the air shocks and from the air shocks to atmosphere. You also need air lines connecting the compressor, tank, valves and shocks and a controller to manage the lot. This is not what Holden sells as part of their air shock accessory.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
is their a cylinder for air pressure and where us the pressure controller located?
you were asking about monroe air riser shocks. A air tank, compressor with solinoids and a cabin presure controler or self leveling system is a hole new ball game and not $400. But yes it is possible to automate a system similar to the factory gmh level ride.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
you were asking about monroe air riser shocks. A air tank, compressor with solinoids and a cabin presure controler or self leveling system is a hole new ball game and not $400. But yes it is possible to automate a system similar to the factory gmh level ride.
being that the shocks are a low pressure system a pump, air release valve, psi gauge, trigger and air release switch could be the nuts n bolts of the sysrem without being specific as a self operated auto set/release system. I just made all that up in my madness....

Lewy_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF CalaisV 6.0L Wagon
@abuch47 Difference FE2 and FE3 for SS cars is the shock valving and sway combo.
Stock SS FE2 is relatively hard sprung, lowered, vs Calais (FE1 & FE1.5).
FE3 is same spring, more compliant valving offset coupled with stiffer sway(s).
Wagon use and dynamics requires HD springs and different sway(s).
Having read this whole thread. Am I right in concluding that the SS VF II Redline Wagon shocks and springs will fit a VF I Calais Sportswagon?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Having read this whole thread. Am I right in concluding that the SS VF II Redline Wagon shocks and springs will fit a VF I Calais Sportswagon?

Yes, it will firm up the ride of your Calais.