Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 advice

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by MattyC95, Sep 28, 2019.

1. MattyC95

MattyC95 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6
    Hey all, I'm after some advice or help in regards to my 2014 VF SV6 wagon. It's been off the road for 2 months now and honestly it's killing me! I've got some sort of problem with the engine where it has thrown a few coded at me, it idles extremely rough and is in a sort of limp mode, the left side of the exhaust comes out cold but right side is still hot.

P0430-catalyst efficiency below threshold
    P0068-throttle position correlation
    P0101-MAF sensor correlation
    P0300-random multiple misfire

I have since replaced the post cat o2 sensors, the coil packs and spark plugs with no improvement yet. I feel I've done all I can at home but has anyone had a similar experience or know what I could check next? I'm hoping to resolve it at home instead of paying up to have it towed to Holden. Any advice or help is much appreciated, thanks.

2. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    Exhaust coming out cold seems to me that there is very little combustion on the passenger side bank. Is there any smoke coming from the exhaust?

Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold
    To me that error means that your car is adding more pollution into the air than it’s supposed to. You've replaced the post cat o2 sensors, I'd also be trying my luck and changing the ones before the cat. Could also be a fuel injection problem?

Throttle position/maf sensor Correlation
    These are commonly caused by the same issue, the PCM has detected an inconsistency in the positioning of the throttle sensor with the MAF. Check there are no air leaks anywhere, especially around the throttle body.

Multiple Misfire
    As I said before in this post, I'd be checking the fuel injectors, they could be clogged. I'm *pretty* sure the injectors are interchangeable over both banks, im not a mechanic so I wouldn't know, but maybe try swapping the right injectors with the left and see what that does? If you then get problems on the other bank well that's one of your issues hopefully solved.

Hope this helps.

426Cuda likes this.
  3. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Before poasting what I’m about to poast, I should provide a disclaimer ... I’m a complete noob, and my comments here are really only in the hope of eliciting answers from someone who actually knows what they’re doing. :)

I wonder how the ECU knows the cat efficiency is below par - with zero knowledge, my guess would be a temp sensor & the cat’s not heating up enough?
    Could the cat be clogged, if it’s not heating up enough? But anyhoo, if the problem is just not enough heat getting into the cat, fixing the misfire will probably fix this.

So I agree with Snortings - these symptoms do sound like maybe too much fuel or not enough combustion, one side of the exhaust being cold kinda says the same. I did think that for efficiency reasons a V6’s exhaust system would combine both sides together (vortices created by gas pulses from one bank helping ‘suck’ the next pulse from the other bank down the exhaust-pipe - to oversimplify in a way that would make an exhaust expert cringe :)), but looking at images of the V6 exhaust maybe you do still get the majority of exhaust from a bank going to the same-side tip. But - I really don’t know if that’s true, just suggesting that this symptom of ‘one side being cold’ may be a wild goose chase.

Swapping the injectors from one side to the other is probably a good call, as that can be done without spending on parts. Then if the problem moves, replacing or cleaning is fairly likely to fix it. Direct-injection injectors are fairly exxy to buy aren’t they? So a clean may be the way to go.

4. vywgn

vywgn Member

Members Ride:
    1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
    Try disconnecting the battery for an hr so the ECU and stuff can reset it self. With the way cars remember things they can cause stupid little issues and a simple thing like this can fix it