Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Feel free to comment.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
good job mate with great detail and pics i see its in the howto section and i would also add ve to the heading make it a bit easier to find when you scroll quickly looking for a particular model and there 14/15 pages to click through

Moosejaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Feel free to comment.
I am planning ro replace the water outlet seals in vz. Is it the case that a new gasket between upper intake( plenum) and lower intake if required will be a metal gasket? If it is..is gasket sealant required on these surfaces. If i am off the mark here could you tell me whats what?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
• Early on, the gaskets were paper. Holden moved to metal gaskets. Much better to use. Not expensive.

• It's really not a big deal removing the intake plenum, but many make it out to be.

• Best to replace the gasket, just incase you get it back together and have a vacuum leak. (Mace and Rev High have good prices)

• No sealant required.

Moosejaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
• Early on, the gaskets were paper. Holden moved to metal gaskets. Much better to use. Not expensive.

• It's really not a big deal removing the intake plenum, but many make it out to be.

• Best to replace the gasket, just incase you get it back together and have a vacuum leak. (Mace and Rev High have good prices)

• No sealant required.
Thankyou for that very concise reply. I agree the mace gasket looks good value. You have encouraged me to go ahead with the job.

Moosejaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Thankyou for that very concise reply. I agree the mace gasket looks good value. You have encouraged me to go ahead with the job.
Hello Mr Manchu. Regarding the coolant filler pipe i have twice removed it to fix a leak from the seals and each time the leak persisted. I cleaned the faces and used new seals. I am probably going ro use a new pipe third attempt. But my question is this..after bolting up to the required torque i noticed that there remained a gap of a few mm between the face of housing and the block. I guess i was expecting the two to mate up and im wondering if in your experience you could comment on that point and add anything elde that i might have sone incorrectly here. PS: I modified the ghetto bleeder to include a run off pipe with tap so as to drain excess prior
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
to lifting off filler pipe.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats the most ghetto coolant bleeder... ever.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not certain which seals you mean?
Do you mean the seal on the filler cap? If so, you might need a new filler cap?

Do you mean the seal on the ghetto bleeder?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 7.51.48 am.png

This is a far better tool for bleeding the coolant. One day, I'll get one. About $50-$70 for one.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 7.52.02 am.png

This one is the ducks nuts and is more like what is used in the factory when filling fluids on assembly.
Connects to an air compressor. Draws all the air out of an empty system. You can then pressure test it for leaks with the vacuum gauge. Then turn a tap and you introduce coolant without air entering. Instantly done. No bleeding needed.