Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Replacing the sump gasket with engine in will require raising the engine and dropping the K frame at the same time, which is why I say it might be just as easy to pull the engine.

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Replacing the sump gasket with engine in will require raising the engine and dropping the K frame at the same time, which is why I say it might be just as easy to pull the engine.
Could I remove gearbox then use crane to lift engine off frame for clearance and remove sump?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Could I remove gearbox then use crane to lift engine off frame for clearance and remove sump?
You could try but I doubt you will get the clearance. When mine was done they had to lower the K frame as well as lift the engine. I don't really see a VT being any different.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@07GTS may know or @EYY would know for sure if you can get away with just raising the engine on a VT. EYY and I talked about it and I decided it was too hard, so I booked it in and I have a hoist, and trans jack. Mines a DD though if it wasn't I may have had a go myself, just it would have probably taken me around two weeks.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
was the steering rack at the back on VT ? on the VE with steering at the front u can raise engine up and undo steering rack and push forward may be enough to get the sump out, would be similar on VT just if steering is in the road or anything alse to get the angle to get it out

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If the underside of my LS looked like that and leaked like that, I'd be pulling it out for a full once over. It's front hump, rear rack, possible to do in car, just not a great idea IMO

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Thinking to remove gearbox then pull engine out instead of pulling engine with box, what are your guys thoughts? Thanks

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Thinking to remove subframe to do sump gasket then check if no leaks present. If rear main leaks might drop the box after - would this be more time effective?

To drop subframe do I need to disconnect tie rod ends, ball joints, sway bar links and completely remove steering rack? I guess I’ll need to use a crane to support engine so may as well pull engine out but would rather do least amount

Thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pulling the engine is the go. You can then more easily do all three common leaks. Crank seal, sump and rear main. Also recommend doing the front input shaft seal on the trans.

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Pulling the engine is the go. You can then more easily do all three common leaks. Crank seal, sump and rear main. Also recommend doing the front input shaft seal on the trans.
Pull engine with or without gearbox ?