Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need advice urgently

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
yeah i never knew that to be honest but it would make sense to be different depending where you are
Some of our diesel has extra additives here compared to the mainland. If you buy imported diesel it doesn't work as well as the Australian premium diesel. Father in law has had problems with OS diesel, particularly United, as it's not always made to suit the climate. Normally ok in summer but come winter and minus 5s or colder the imported gear plays up.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Living in QLD, we called NSW people cockroaches....And still do..(My step Dad was from NSW originally)

Victorians are called Mexicans, in QLD and S.A

As for the problem at hand.....If you need to drain all the fuel, because you suspect it is the problem, are you able to disconnect the main fuel line at the motor, before the injectors turn the ignition on and allow the fuel pump to drain the tank? Saves syphoning with all sorts of gadgets and gets 99% of the fuel out of the tank....

From that, re-fill the tank with fresh fuel and metho and take it for a run then....Should clean out any water in the system then

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It can happen anywhere. It’s not about brand, it’s about location of the servo and opportunity for water to get into the storage tanks on site.
I think the age of the servo in question has a lot more relevance than the brand. If its an old servo the underground tanks are probably old as well thus more susceptible to moisture ingress.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe... Us Victorians love crossing borders during lockdowns lol
You’re Mexicans because you’re always having “siestas”. Melbourne cup day, Day after Melbourne cup day, Grand final day, Under 5s junior league day, Opening of a brown paper bag day.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
From Mobil‘s website

Colour of petrol grades is not regulated, however, the typical colours used in industry are:​

• Unleaded 91 & E10 Unleaded - Red or Orange
  • Premium 95 - Yellow
  • Premium 98 - Yellow
Occasionally, you may notice that the colour of the fuel is different to that which you are familiar with. This alone is not cause for concern as occasionally the fuel may have been left undyed or a higher octane grade downgraded.​

Other websites, say undyed diesel is amber green whIch slowly darkens as it ages…

Again, fuel colour isn’t standardised across Australia and depends on the fuel manufacturer as to what/how they want to market their stuff…

As for the VF tank, you won’t be able to fully empty it because it’s a saddle tank design that is split into two sections than straddles the driveshaft. Other makers install a small transfer pump with a small management module to ensure the fuel is moved from one side to the side where the high pressure fuel pump that feeds the engine lives.. Guess Holden took the cheaper approach using some clever vortex suction principles (but emptying a tank completely using the fuel pump isn’t a great idea if there is rubbish within the fuel that can then block the internal filter).

As for running better, but not 100%, what did the fuel look like? Fill up a clear 1 or 2 litre bottle and let is sit for a few hours and then shine a light through it and have a look. Does it seem to be stratified (different fluids floating on top of each other)? Good fuels won’t be stratified. Does it have little particles floating in it? Good fuels won’t have particles floating within that will block your filter…

Post a pick of a clear see through 1 or 2 ltr bottle full of fuel taken from your tank. Just curious.

Note that sometimes the contamination can be really hard to spot as it’s miscible with the fuel and won’t separate. This is what happened to me as the fuel was clean and clear but crud was very visible on the injector tips themselves (one which was completely blocked). The crud was easily dissolved using isopropyl alcohol. So I cleaned the injectors by soaking them in isopropyl alcohol then used a 9V battery and some pressure can carb cleaner to squirt through an opened injector (short bursts of open so I didn’t burn the injector winding). Worked a treat. Mind you it was really easy to pull the injectors on my 4cylinder shitbox whereas doing the same on a Holden V6 is a PITA from what I gather.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
You’re Mexicans because you’re always having “siestas”. Melbourne cup day, Day after Melbourne cup day, Grand final day, Under 5s junior league day, Opening of a brown paper bag day.
Dictator Dan Day..... :cool:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I too would like to see the so called petrol and water mix in a bottle. I still think it's diesel in the petrol as this is a fairly common error from the tanker driver it's happened three times in the Launceston area that I know of, and we're a town of 90, 000.