Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need advice urgently

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Us that live in Tasmania are not happy with WA. If the WA Gov has its way we will lose a stack of GST revenue, which will leave a big black hole in our states budget. It was already tried and rejected but that's not to say it won't happen in the future.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Pffft - you guys (and gals) will come back with your collective tails between your legs next time the boom turns to bust, looking for some of that GST stuff.
(actually does a sand groper have a tail?).
WA makes so much money out of iron ore royalties that they don’t even need GST but bitch if they don’t get it anyway.

I remember reading somewhere that the WA government had more individual government departments than all the other states combined or some such ridiculous stat.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Pffft - you guys (and gals) will come back with your collective tails between your legs next time the boom turns to bust, looking for some of that GST stuff.
(actually does a sand groper have a tail?).
Sandgropers have tails. A smaller native version of a mole cricket. Sandgropers are brown. Mole crickets are black.

I don’t think we will ever need assistance.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If it ever went to referendum (again) we would vote to secede from the Federation. Never wanted to join it but was forced to in 1900-1901 under threat of over half of WA forcibly taken from WA. Voted to secede in 1932 but the vote was never acted on. There is a strong support for it here.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Us that live in Tasmania are not happy with WA. If the WA Gov has its way we will lose a stack of GST revenue, which will leave a big black hole in our states budget. It was already tried and rejected but that's not to say it won't happen in the future.

WA gets 70% of its GST.

Tas gets waaaay over 100%.

If the distribution rules weren't changed, WA would be getting less than 5%.

Tell us again on who is doing badly.

WA makes so much money out of iron ore royalties that they don’t even need GST but bitch if they don’t get it anyway.

I remember reading somewhere that the WA government had more individual government departments than all the other states combined or some such ridiculous stat.

And gambling revenue in NSW is excluded from GST calcs.

Include it and see what your position should be.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tas gets waaaay over 100%.
That’s because they don’t have a lot of economic opportunities like WA does.
And gambling revenue in NSW is excluded from GST calcs.

Include it and see what your position should be.
I’m not in NSW so dunno but I did read a while ago that NSW has the highest number of pokies per capita on earth.

I live in Queensland where we’ve been shat on by the LNP federal government for the last decade wrt roads funding. Only now is shite starting to getting done because we have a Labor federal government but even so we still have highways with standard level intersections (no overpass) within 50kms of the CBD.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
images

WA Independence!

Revolution!!!!

But I need to take the kids to school on Wednesday, so can we wait until next school holidays?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Need to build a wall to keep all those "bad hombres" out of wa lol

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Contributed to coz beholden to the green lobby.
Don’t believe everything Rupert Murdoch writes. If your talking about logging it has conclusively shown it doesn’t make money (not in an appreciable amount anyway) and just destroys old growth forests for the sake of it.

Fact of the matter is we are a consumption/services based economy for the most part and our foreign income is mostly earned by digging stuff out of the ground and selling it so all the economic opportunities are in the hands of states with lots of resources (WA & QLD) or states where lots of people live (NSW & VIC).

Tasmania, South Australia and the Northern Territory will always be behind the eight ball (pending some massive immigration into those states) as they don’t have a lot of natural resources and not many people want to live there, not least because there’s sfa jobs available.