Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BradLaird_4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not currently own
There is a thread here in which the user Cam_Ralph made a step by step guide on adding the HUD in to none HUD cars, as at least in the case of SV6 and above they are all putting out the HUD signal, they just dont have the projector. I got all the bits I need from a wreck (HUD Projector, brackets, Trim pieces, switches, plugs etc) and it was about $400 (Not including cost of windscreen). It's not a job for the faint heart, you have to take the entire Dash out and cut into the loom. If I had my time again id have looked for a Car with a HUD, but at the time when I needed to buy it was the height of all teh lock downs and mine was the best I could find (Love her though :) )

Whilst sunroofs sound nice, I look at them as nothing more than additional weight, mechanical complexity and with more seals to leak. I have also seen a few instances in which people had paint cracking around the corners of the roof cutout, seemingly from the body flexing which would scare me off them. Really you can't go wrong with a well maintained and cared for (check teh service history with a fine tooth comb) Series 2 SV6, Be it MY16/MY17

Yep, if you want HUD, you need to look at either MY16 Black Edition, or MY17 SV6 models. Colours were similar between those years, you're describing Slipstream blue which was in both MY16/MY17 (And is a lovely colour!) Yep, the Black Editions came in the same colours, though seem very popular in Slipstream Blue

MY16 - SV6 Colours
Prussian Steel (Light Grey, deleted in MY17)
Phantom Black (Black, also MY17)
Jungle Green (Dark Green)
Nitrate Silver (Silver, also MY17)
Regal Peacock (Early MY16, Dark metallic Green)
Slipstream Blue (Blue, also MY17)
Red Hot (Red, also MY17)
Some Like it Hot Red (Metallic Redish Orange, look up Panheads ute for a stunning example of the colour, deleted for MY17)
Heron White

MY17 - SV6 new Colours
Son of Gun Grey - Dark metallic grey
Light my Fire Orange - Metallic orange, looks stunning clean in the sun

Youd be up for new Boot-lid, springs and struts, plus the spoiler itself and badges. May be worth just finding a car with a spoiler

The only acceptable exhaust mod on an SV6, is the VE and Series 1 VF SS mufflers that came from an Active Fuel Management (AFM, the cylinder deactivation) car, these are a single outlet from the muffler to a quad tip. They dont sound different, and give the look of the quad tips to fill out the bumper which I agree looks alot better. Plus, you can get them dirt cheap, I only payed $50 for mine.

You can't do extractors on the LFX, they are integrated into the head and basically go from from the engine straight to the cat. Most OTR's will give snake oil gains, do your researches on tuners as their is a HEAP of crappy tuners out there with happy dyno's
So, it is possible to install a HUD onto a S1 VF SV6 albeit through some extensive work and a little bit of money. Are there any people around who will do the installation themselves or is this strictly something I'd have to do myself? I'm not opposed to doing stuff myself, but I often don't find myself not needing my car for long periods of time and I also don't have anyone with a whole lot of experience with this sort of thing at my disposal to help.

Yes, Sunroof sounds like something I will have to accept that is not going to be an option unless I go for the Calais which comes with its own problems so the SV6 sounds like the way to go.

Are the MY16 and MY17 the only SV6 commodores to come in the Slipstream Blue? Obviously, they are the only ones that can be bought with HUDs but are there older models, without HUDs that still have the same color?

Exhaust and Tunes are good information, I'll definitely be referring back to all this when the time comes :)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Sounds like a lot of money.

Less is more is my way of thinking when it comes to putting a car together.

There are some nice looking understated SV6's out there that I would buy for your P Plate journey and keep it in good nick and save as much of your money as you can until you can legally drive a V8, then trade her in on one.

Just my way of thinking.

BradLaird_4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not currently own
Sounds like a lot of money.

Less is more is my way of thinking when it comes to putting a car together.

There are some nice looking understated SV6's out there that I would buy for your P Plate journey and keep it in good nick and save as much of your money as you can until you can legally drive a V8, then trade her in on one.

Just my way of thinking.

definitely the wiser of the two choices :p but where's the fun in that. In all seriousness, I do plan on keeping the car for a while and not immediately go for a V8 as soon as I'm off P plates. a V8 may be something I consider later in life if I have a job that can support the hefty fuel bill each week or if I just get too excited, either way, for now it'll have to be the V6 and I'm okay with that :)

I would definitely love to get a WRX later down the track and have some fun with one of those but for now, that's just an idea

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
definitely the wiser of the two choices :p but where's the fun in that. In all seriousness, I do plan on keeping the car for a while and not immediately go for a V8 as soon as I'm off P plates. a V8 may be something I consider later in life if I have a job that can support the hefty fuel bill each week or if I just get too excited, either way, for now it'll have to be the V6 and I'm okay with that :)

I would definitely love to get a WRX later down the track and have some fun with one of those but for now, that's just an idea

I guess I'm not the person to comment as I grew up when you could P plate in any engine combo you liked and of the millions of cars I've owned, only one wasn't a V8, and that is a twin turbo inline BMW 6 cylinder and that's a completely difference animal.

Good luck with whatever way you choose to go, it should be a fun but at the same time, a frustrating learning curve for you.

But that's what building cars is about, you can equally love and hate them at the same time.

BradLaird_4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not currently own
I guess I'm not the person to comment as I grew up when you could P plate in any engine combo you liked and of the millions of cars I've owned, only one wasn't a V8, and that is an twin turbo inline BMW 6 cylinder and that's a completely difference animal.

Good luck with whatever way you choose to go, it should be a fun but at the same time, a frustrating learning curve for you.

Id' hope for nothing less :p

cheers mate

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So, I'm understanding that it's wise to take these people's advice and opt against a wing spoiler despite the attractiveness, however cool Ned Kelly was? :p

If the car has a reverse camera, it isn't so bad.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Performance wise, the biggest difference is going to be the suspension. SV6 has FE2 sports suspension, where as Calais has FE1.5 touring suspension, so softer. The FE2 tune IMO is excellent for everyday sporty driving.

If you are going to lower it, I HIGHLY suggest you read up @RevNev threads about lowering his sport wagon, and adjusting the bushings whilst doing so. He does it properly for handling and performance, I get the P plate special is to slam it. All you do is ruin the comfortable ride of the car, scrape on everything, and if it's done poorly (Which it often is) youll also compromise the handling. Spending your money on Performance tires will also be a smart persons upgrade

I would advise against swapping bumpers, take a look at the cost of second hand bumpers at the moment. Sellers are smoking crack pipes with the prices they are asking ($3K plus for somewhat good condition), due to a shortage of new OEM bumpers. And you need more than just the bumper. Front end swap (The rear is different also) plus all the internal grilles etc. Currently, you won't have much change out of $6K-7K to do all the change if you want it done well so is a silly use of funds.. Nothing wrong with the Calais bumper, leave it. You want an SV6, Buy an SV6. Interior is subjective. The "Sportec" vinyl seats in SV6 actually age far better generally than the leather interiors. The Calais white accents get filthy pretty quick without cleaning

HUD wise, in SV6 these are only on Series 2's. The Black Edition was a Series 2 model which did come with HUD, Black Exterior trim (Which looks better on most colours IMO), Red stitching on interior and badging, as well as Black Edition wheels. The Series 1 model was the Storm, which had fog lights (deleted from S2 sport models) and Red stitching, dark insets in the rims, but still used Key start and no HUD. The MY17 SV6, basically become the black edition but with white stitching and chrome exterior trim. Swapping the chrome trim to the black is another area that will cost you a fortune, the black trims are often sold at extortionate prices. I have a MY16 SV6 which I've converted to a black edition, and need to do the HUD add in (Its a big job), but my dad has an MY17 SV6 with HUD and I really like it. If you get a HUD model, make sure the insurance includes windscreen cover, because the HUD windscreen is unique due to a polarising film in the glass to make the hud work, and it is over $1600 (When I called a year ago) just for the glass.

My Dad's MY17 SV6 has the high wing spoiler from factory. Initially I preferred the lip spoiler on mine but I have kinda warmed to it and actually rather like it. Yes, it will reduce your rear visibility somewhat but I dont think it's an issue. You can't just swap them, as the lip spoiler has extra holes drilled in the boot, and the high wing has different springs and struts due to the extra weight.

One advantage of the lip spoiler is that the boot will open all the way by itself which is handy, one big advantage I found of high wing spoiler, is its in the perfect spot to block all the flogs in their big SUV's/Forby's with blinding headlights shining through to the rear view mirror

Final word of advice you won't get on the SV6 Facebook groups

LEAVE THE EXHAUST STOCK

No aftermarket sounds good, ever, period, end of story, infinity, not negotiable. The VF v6 is a great engine, it does not sound good! Save your money tuning it as well, ALOT of snake oil tuners out there, and just because the OTR's intake roar sounds louder, doesn't mean it's faster. Spend your money on nice mods, such as the HSV style flat bottom steering wheel, and id get a colour instrument display put in as it looks a million times better than the stock Black and white one.

Also invest in taking care of it, invest in some tools, a low profile jack and axle stands and learn to service take care of it yourself, and it will reward you with many miles of happy motoring :)
All of this is great advice, especially the stuff about headlights, as bolded.
I considered a VF Calais V with V8 years back, but the suspension was just not up to the engine, so I bought an SSV, rather than change everything out later. Won't be such a big issue with a V6.
I'll also add that the wing may block your view of the flogs that don't use their headlights at all and travel in stealth mode. They seem to be spawning.

BradLaird_4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do not currently own
All of this is great advice, especially the stuff about headlights, as bolded.
I'll also add that the wing may block your view of the flogs that don't use their headlights at all and travel in stealth mode. They seem to be spawning.
Completely with you. Couldn't tell you how many cars I've seen on the roads without their lights on at 5:30am. The ever-increasing number of cars with daytime running lights are a GODSEND. Still pisses me off whenever I see some knob head driving around without his lights on though

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
If you don't find what you want, you can always pick up one of these.
A fantastic first car that will give you and others lots of thrills.
Also a terrific ‘Chick Magnet’.

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 59