Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake caliper paint peeling

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^
Yeah, Bunnings charges more for the 1m cut lengths than the 2.4 and longer lengths so he was trying to make a few dollars by cutting some down. He did have a large number of cut lengths.

I had a good chuckle with the Bunnings salesman after the chap left but i'd have given him the refund and then called the police and got him done for fraud/theft. He deserved it - most dangerous crook is a stupid crook...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Had a similar incident at work a few weeks back. Regular comes in with a IGA food voucher and says its not working. We looked the code up and it was still full value. Weird i held onto it and said i need to check this out. Damn this voucher was given to another client. I told her we gave you a Coles one last week not IGA. So i said come back tomorrow. Explained again we never gave her this. We tracked down the client who we gave it to and sure it was stolen from his home a couple of days earlier. We track every voucher wr give out on our database so there is no fooling us. Plus the client signs for the voucher when they receive it, scoundrels....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
And that is why consumers need to educate themselves, understand their rights, the vendor's obligations and enforce them.

True, but I'd be concerned how the consumer can prove that they didn't cause the paint peel, even though it's innocient until proven guilty...

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
And that is why consumers need to educate themselves, understand their rights, the vendor's obligations and enforce them.
Yes. It's also partly why the ACCC took on some big players in the auto industry. The auto industry is rife with rip offs and appalling, pathetic, post sale customer service. We all know car sales people can't lie straight in bed. But, these days, they have good company. Enter Ford, Holden, Toyota, VW etc...

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
True, but I'd be concerned how the consumer can prove that they didn't cause the paint peel, even though it's innocient until proven guilty...
They don't have to.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
They don't have to.

Unfortunately, dealerships will say anything to try and get out of re-painting the calipers, which can then throw the onus on you to prove you didn't do anything to cause it.

Of course, there are honest dealers out there, that will accept there maybe an issue to begin with and repaint them to keep their reputation in tact as an honest dealership, but the ones that aren't, it makes your life very difficult

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
They don't have to.
Unfortunately, dealerships will say anything to try and get out of re-painting the calipers, which can then throw the onus on you to prove you didn't do anything to cause it.

Of course, there are honest dealers out there, that will accept there maybe an issue to begin with and repaint them to keep their reputation in tact as an honest dealership, but the ones that aren't, it makes your life very difficult
As long as the vehicle owner knows that within ACL there is no onus on the owner to prove anything, the dealership can cry a river and try whatever allows them to sleep at night. The owner can just ignore such rubbish from a dealer.

All the owner needs to do is state what the problem is (paint delamination of the brake calipers) and that the fault is due to the product not being of acceptable quality. Done. Honest dealers will handle this without much pushback.

But if the dealer is being difficult, the owner could remind them that if they have to continually come back and complain about this ‘minor fault’ that this very act of struggling to have the issue rectified can raise the issue to being classified as a major fault under ACL. Such a reclassification would then mean they would be able to reject the vehicle and demand a full purchase price refund.

Of course you could not say anything and let the shitty dealer dig a big hole for themselves ;)

berlina85

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk Berlina v8
As long as the vehicle owner knows that within ACL there is no onus on the owner to prove anything, the dealership can cry a river and try whatever allows them to sleep at night. The owner can just ignore such rubbish from a dealer.

All the owner needs to do is state what the problem is (paint delamination of the brake calipers) and that the fault is due to the product not being of acceptable quality. Done. Honest dealers will handle this without much pushback.

But if the dealer is being difficult, the owner could remind them that if they have to continually come back and complain about this ‘minor fault’ that this very act of struggling to have the issue rectified can raise the issue to being classified as a major fault under ACL. Such a reclassification would then mean they would be able to reject the vehicle and demand a full purchase price refund.

Of course you could not say anything and let the shitty dealer dig a big hole for themselves ;)

Gmac 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV-R Manual PBM Ute
Hey Guys.
How long should the paint last?
I'm about 18 months out of warranty (4-½ years total?) and about to hit just 50K.
All my callipers have peeled. FYI....weekly wash and only with neutral ph soap.
Can I pursue this with what's left of Holden?