Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Start Up

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
It's fine, just increased cranking pressure at near operating heat and oil having a chance to seal the rings.
Not battery, actually demonstrates effective ring seal.
If you have a scanner you can log the relationship using intake valve temperature PID.

Harli

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
My car does was the OP has described as well - strong crank when cold, weaker crank when the engine is warm or even warmish. I never considered it to be a problem and the car always starts without any issues. I have had the car for about 7-8 months and it has around 7k km.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
but if left for an hour or 3 can idle a little rough for a few minutes.

Is this a common thing in the VF? Noticed this now and then in VE, but thought Holden may have solved the issue by now?

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
Noticed the same with mine when new, now with a few k's on the clock does it less, also use to idle abit rough as well.

Krustyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
I have noticed the same.

3500k July 2016 build.

rouseabout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 in Red Hot, waiting for my VF11 SS
I've noticed something when starting up my VF2 Manual Redline and wanted to ask other LS3 owners.

On cold start up (so at least 8 hours before I lasted started the vehicle) the vehicle seems to start straight away within 1-2 cranks and the cranks sound like they have some good power behind them (IE turns over quickly).

If I switch off the car and leave it from anywhere from 5-50 mins and go to restart it, it seems like it struggles to start (as in it doesn't have the same kick and turns over slowly and engine starts after 3 cranks) Its as if the battery is a bit drained and it only just starts. Not sure if this is the same for all LS3, the WN2 LS3 Caprice V I had never turned over slowly. Car is brand new, only has 100km on it.

Can't say I've noticed that with mine

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
I've noticed something when starting up my VF2 Manual Redline and wanted to ask other LS3 owners.

On cold start up (so at least 8 hours before I lasted started the vehicle) the vehicle seems to start straight away within 1-2 cranks and the cranks sound like they have some good power behind them (IE turns over quickly).

If I switch off the car and leave it from anywhere from 5-50 mins and go to restart it, it seems like it struggles to start (as in it doesn't have the same kick and turns over slowly and engine starts after 3 cranks) Its as if the battery is a bit drained and it only just starts. Not sure if this is the same for all LS3, the WN2 LS3 Caprice V I had never turned over slowly. Car is brand new, only has 100km on it.

Hi SC : i drove the redline yesterday ( it was 28℃ ) and it started the same everytime (real quick starting ) so with yours it may be battery or factory ecm tune related : probably c how it goes once the motor starts to loosen up so to speak ☺

Matt2016VFSSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline
Hi SC,

Just wondering of you continued to have some rough idle cold starts or not? If you had any resolution by holden or if the issue simply went away. Also have a new SSV Redline december built. Purchased a few days prior to Xmas and have had about 3 rough idles upon start. I queried the rough idling when it was in for 1000km service today. My dealer informed me they would need to investigate whilst cold. They said there is info in there database where Holden had done an ECU update to solve a similar issue. But he said it wasn't readily available to them and would need to request it once they had evidence of a problem.
Thanks in advance.

Matt

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Mate I had mine serviced yesterday and the dealer did (according to the receipt) - 'carry out work as per campaign bulletin - LS3 engine stall', essentially an ECU reflash

Perhaps that's what they were referring to when they told you they had some info in their database? The bloke told me that it is a silent recall (ie only done when cars come in for service) and it relates to idling issues which have resulted in stalls.

I'd be pushing them harder - the campaign bulletin number is A1703060, if that's of any help

Matt2016VFSSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline
Hi Tml678,

Just wondering if yours is auto or manual?
And what service was it in for?

Thanks